Hiring a Wedding Planner: Everything You Need To Know
When it comes to planning a wedding, there are many things that go into it – from the invitations to the food, and everything in between. For some couples, all of this planning can be a little (or a LOT) overwhelming… And this is where hiring a wedding planner comes in handy!
A wedding planner can take care of all the details for you; allowing you to simply sit back, relax, and enjoy your big day. Today, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about hiring a wedding planner – from what they do to how much they cost. As an added bonus, we’ll also provide tips on how to pick the right wedding planner for your big day!
Interested in knowing some of the reasons why couples turn to a professional wedding planner? Check out this 2-part blog series to learn more!
First Thing’s First: What Is a Wedding Planner?
A wedding planner is a professional who helps couples with the coordination and planning of their wedding day. Wedding planners are often hired to take care of all the details that go into making a wedding run smoothly – from start to finish.
What Does a Wedding Planner Do?
Wedding planners typically offer various services, which can be customized to fit the needs of each individual couple. Some of the most popular services provided by wedding planners include:
- Assisting with the budget
- Developing a wedding day timeline
- Selecting and reserving the venue
- Hiring and coordinating vendor contracts
- Overseeing wedding rehearsal
- And much more!
Wedding planners can be extremely helpful, especially for couples who have a busy lifestyle or those who live out of town and are planning a destination wedding. Hiring a wedding planner can take a lot of the stress and worry off your plate – giving you more time to enjoy the engagement period!
PRO TIP: Check out what a day in the life of a wedding planner looks like to better understand the full scope of their duties and responsibilities!
Should You Hire a Wedding Planner?
Now that we know what a wedding planner is and what they do, you might be wondering… why would I need to hire one?
Well, there are actually quite a few reasons why couples choose to hire a wedding planner. Here are just a few:
- You don’t have the time (or desire) to plan your own wedding
- You’re planning a destination wedding out of town (or the country)
- You want to avoid unnecessary stress and enjoy the engagement period
- You’re not the best at staying within a budget and need some help with this
- You don’t know where to start when it comes to planning
These are just a few of the reasons why couples choose to hire a wedding planner. If any of these resonate with you, then it might be worth considering hiring a professional to help with your big day!
5 Major Benefits Of Hiring a Wedding Planner
There are quite a few benefits that come along with hiring a wedding planner. Here are some of the top reasons why couples choose to work with a professional:
1. You’ll save time!
Planning a wedding can be very time-consuming – especially if you’re working full-time or have other commitments outside of wedding planning. Hiring a wedding planner can free up a lot of your time, so you can focus on other things (like your job, hobbies, family, etc.).
2. You’ll save money!
You might be thinking, “How can spending money on a wedding planner actually save me money?” Well, wedding planners often have connections with vendors in the industry (e.g., florists, bakers, event decorators, photographers, etc.) and can often get you discounts that you wouldn’t be able to get on your own.
3. You’ll avoid unnecessary stress!
Wedding planning can be stressful – there’s no denying that. Hiring a wedding planner can help take some of the weight off your shoulders and help make the process a lot less stressful.
4. You’ll get professional guidance and advice!
If you’re not quite sure where to start with your wedding planning, a wedding planner can offer guidance and advice. They can help you figure out things like your budget, wedding style, timeline, etc.
5. You’ll have peace of mind on your big day!
On your wedding day, the last thing you want to worry about is whether or not everything is going as planned. Hiring a wedding planner can give you peace of mind, knowing that there’s someone there to take care of everything – so you can just relax and enjoy your big day!
Hiring a Wedding Planner: Know The Different Types
When it comes to hiring a wedding planner, it’s important to know that there are different types of planners out there. Here is a brief overview of the three most common types of wedding planners:
- Full-service wedding planner: A full-service wedding planner will be with you every step of the way – from start to finish. They’ll help you with things like budgeting, finding vendors, creating a wedding timeline, and more.
- Day-of coordinator: A day-of coordinator will help you with the logistics of your wedding day – making sure everything runs smoothly and according to plan. They’ll typically start working with you a few weeks before the big day.
- Partial planning: A partial planner will help you with some aspects of wedding planning, but not all of them. This might include things like helping you find vendors, creating a budget, or putting together a wedding timeline.
So, which type of wedding planner is right for you? That will depend on your needs and preferences! Sit down with your partner and figure out what exactly you’re looking for in a wedding planner.
How Much Does It Cost?
Next, let’s talk about cost. Hiring a professional wedding planner typically costs 10-15% of your total wedding budget. However, keep in mind that this percentage can vary depending on factors like the type of planner you hire, where you’re getting married, etc.
When you’re meeting with potential planners, be sure to ask about their fee structure so you have a clear understanding of what you’ll be expected to pay. Some wedding planners charge by the hour (at an average rate of $100-$250/hour), while others charge a flat fee or a percentage of your total wedding budget.
What’s Included In The Cost?
Wondering what, exactly, you’re paying for when you hire a wedding planner? Here are some of the things that are typically included in their fee:
- Initial consultation: This is a meeting between you and the planner to discuss your wedding vision, needs, budget, etc.
- Venue scouting: The planner will help you find the perfect venue for your wedding.
- Vendor referrals: The planner will provide you with a list of recommended vendors in the area.
- Budget management: The planner will help you stay on track with your budget and make sure you’re not overspending.
- Wedding day coordination: On the big day, the planner will make sure everything runs smoothly and according to plan.
What You Should Know Hiring a Wedding Planner: Key Questions To Ask
Now that you know a little bit more about hiring a wedding planner, let’s talk about some key questions you should ask when you’re meeting with potential planners. Here are some things you’ll want to find out:
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you have any professional qualification(s)/certification(s)?
- How many weddings have you planned?
- Do you have experience with weddings of my size/budget?
- What is your fee structure?
- What services are included in your fee?
- Do you offer partial or day-of planning?
- Do you have a list of references I can contact?
- When would you be available to start working with me?
Asking these questions will help you get a better understanding of each wedding planner’s experience, qualifications, and fees. It will also give you some insight into their planning process and what services they offer.
Furthermore, you should always check out each planner’s business website and social media, as well as look over their professional portfolio. This will give you a better sense of their style and the types of weddings they typically plan.
PRO TIP: Here are 3 amazing – and real-world – event/wedding planning portfolio examples, to give you a good idea of what to look for when conducting your research!
How to Pick a Wedding Planner: The Process Broken Down
Now that you know the basics of hiring a wedding planner, let’s talk about how to actually pick one! Here is a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
1. Define Your Needs!
First things first, you need to sit down with your partner and figure out what exactly you’re looking for in a wedding planner. What type of help do you need? What’s your budget? When is the big day? etc.
Answering these questions will give you a better idea of the type of planner you should be looking for!
2. Do Your Research!
Once you know what you’re looking for, it’s time to start your search! Look for planners who have experience with weddings of your size/budget and who offer the services you’re looking for. As we mentioned before, make sure to check out each planner’s business website and social media, as well as their professional portfolio. This will be a great way to get a sense of their style and the types of weddings they typically plan.
3. Make Some Phone Calls and Send Some Emails!
Once you’ve compiled a list of potential planners, it’s time to start making some phone calls and sending out some emails! This is your chance to ask each planner the questions we listed above (i.e. How long have you been in business? Do you have any professional qualification(s)/certification(s)? How many weddings have you planned?, etc.).
Asking these questions will help you narrow down your list of options.
4. Schedule Some Consultations!
After you’ve collected all of the information you need, it’s time to start scheduling some consultations! This is your chance to actually meet with each planner in-person (or via video call), get a feel for their personality, and see if they’re a good fit for you and your partner.
5. Make Your Decision!
After meeting with each planner, it should be pretty clear which one is the best fit for you. Now it’s time to make your decision and hire the wedding planner of your dreams!
How To Pick a Wedding Planner: Red Flags To Avoid
Now that you know how to pick a wedding planner, let’s talk about some red flags to avoid. Here are a few things you should be on the lookout for…
1. Planners who don’t ask you any questions during your first meeting.
A good wedding planner should take the time to get to know you and your partner, as well as your vision for the big day. If they’re not asking you any questions, it’s a sign that they’re not truly interested in helping you create your dream wedding.
Psst! These are the kinds of questions professional wedding planners will likely ask you during your first meeting – so, get ahead of the curve by coming with your answers already prepared!
2. Planners who try to upsell you on services you don’t need.
Steer clear of wedding planners who try to upsell you on unnecessary services. A good wedding planner will only suggest services that they think will benefit you and your wedding. But if they’re trying to push unneeded services onto you, it’s a sign that – again – they’re more interested in your money than your wedding.
3. Planners who are pushy or seem more interested in your money than your actual wedding.
In the same breath, the right wedding planner will be excited to help you plan your dream wedding, not try to take advantage of you. If they’re pushy or seem more interested in your money than your wedding, it’s a sign that they’re not the planner for you.
4. Planners who don’t have a professional website or social media presence.
If you come across a wedding planner who doesn’t have a professional website and active social media accounts, run for the hills! This is usually a sign that they’re not serious about their business.
5. Planners who don’t have a portfolio of their previous work.
Similarly, if a planner can’t provide you with a portfolio of their previous work, it’s also a red flag. A good planner will be more than happy to show you examples of their work and discuss the weddings they’ve planned in the past.
6. Planners who don’t have any sort of professional qualifications.
You should also be wary of planners who don’t have any professional qualifications. While there are some great planners out there who are self-taught, it’s always a good idea to hire someone who has been certified by a professional organization, such as QC Event School.
The reason for this is simple: professional qualifications show that a planner has the knowledge and skills necessary to plan weddings successfully.
7. Planners who seem disorganized or unprepared.
This one should be pretty self-explanatory. If a planner seems disorganized or unprepared, it’s a sign that they’re not the right person for the job because, let’s face it, planning a wedding is no joke. There’s a lot of work that goes into it – and so you need someone who is organized, detail-oriented, and prepared.
8. Planner who don’t seem to have very good relationships with the local vendors, venues, and/or suppliers.
If a planner doesn’t seem to have good relationships with the local vendors, venues, and/or suppliers, it could be a sign that they’re not well-liked or respected in the wedding industry.
And that’s not something you want for your wedding planner because, believe it or not, relationships do matter in this business! Not to mention, the quality of your wedding can often be determined by the relationships your planner has with the local vendors.
9. Planners who don’t have any positive reviews or testimonials.
Another key thing to make sure you avoid is planners who don’t have any positive reviews or testimonials. This is usually a sign that they’re new to the business or that they haven’t done a good job with previous weddings.
10. Planners who don’t have insurance.
Last but not least, you should always make sure that your wedding planner has insurance. This is important because it protects you in case something goes wrong on the day of your wedding. For example, if your planner accidentally damages something at the venue, their insurance will cover the cost of the repairs.
So, Is Hiring a Wedding Planner Worth It?
Only YOU can decide for sure! But if you’re attracted to the idea of having someone else take care of the nitty-gritty details on your big day, then hiring a wedding planner may be the way to go.
Just remember to do your research first and hire a reputable planner who you feel confident about entrusting with your big day. Then sit back, relax, and let them do their thing!
Remember: this is YOUR wedding day. So, it’s important that you do what’s best for YOU and YOUR big day!
Ultimately, the right planner will make your life a whole lot easier and help you enjoy the wedding planning process. But the wrong one could end up costing you time, money, and even your sanity.
So, the main thing we suggest is to choose wisely!
How To Become a Wedding Planner Yourself
Perhaps you’ve read this far and now find yourself thinking, “Hey, I could do that! I want to become a wedding planner!”
If so, then we have some good news for you: it’s not as difficult as you might think. In fact, with the right training, you can be planning weddings professionally in no time. With QC Event School, for example, you can earn your internationally-recognized certification in as little as 12 short weeks!
All of our globally-recognized programs are entirely online and self-paced. This means, no due dates or deadlines for any of your units, quizzes, or assignments! Rather, you get to work on your studies whenever your schedule allows it. And although we’ll give you 2 full years to complete your course, you can use as much or as little of that time as you actually need.
Check out our full list of self-paced, online courses (and their curricula) to learn more!
Resources To Bookmark
And if you are thinking of becoming a professional wedding planner, here are a bunch of useful articles to help get you started:
- How To Become a Wedding Planner: A Step-By-Step Guide
- How To Brand Your Wedding Planning Business
- The Top 10 Tips To Market Your Wedding Planning Business
- Becoming a Wedding Planner: How To Set Your Rates
- 50 Must-Read Tips For Small Business Owners
- Everything You Need To Know About Virtual Weddings
- How To Become a Destination Wedding Planner
- The 10 Must-Have Skills EVERY Event Planner Needs
We hope you enjoyed reading this article about hiring a wedding planner. Wedding planning is a huge industry with a lot of opportunity for those who are passionate about it. So, if you think you might have what it takes to become a professional wedding planner, we encourage you to explore that option!
Got any questions or comments for us? We always love to hear what you think, so leave them down below!
And as always, thanks for reading! 🙂